Question:
Why is it when I join forums or groups, I don't get welcomed?
ijlbiz
2006-12-05 12:36:12 UTC
So far I have joined a few forum and discussion groups of diverse topics and interests, and I never seem to get a personal welcome from the members. I am very nice and I don't post things that would give them a reason to dislike me. In fact, I would say I blend in almost too well, and members often treat me as if I were an old-timer instead of a newbie. I have noticed that sometimes when another newbie posts something that is a little more controversial or more likely to provoke an emotional reaction, they get welcomed much more readily.

This is not a huge deal but it is a mystery to me and I would appreciate it if you could help me figure this out.
Four answers:
kent_shakespear
2006-12-05 12:40:20 UTC
a lot of groups get so many members who sign up but never get active; the active members are probably tired of welcoming fly-by-night people.

a lot of groups you have to jump in, feet first, and participate, to be noticed.
smileyd
2006-12-05 12:48:20 UTC
do you introduce yourself first?

If you just start posting, on some forums with so many members, they might just assume you've been a member for a while who has just been quietly watching until now.
bonsai bobby
2006-12-05 12:48:27 UTC
you're not welcome here.-beat it!

no,really, If you are tring to join groups that you have a common interest with and seem to be "shunned"- I would bite the "pride bullet" and share your feelings with other members. Just try the direct human approach. usually people will be gracious.
2006-12-05 12:41:45 UTC
maybe you should go the attention whore route since it seems like you are already leaning that way...

just make a "hi, newbie here! Come introduce yourselves!!!" thread...youll get your fifteen minutes...