Question:
In our age of abundance, how can we best keep the focus?
Soulhunter
2005-12-12 23:04:59 UTC
I'm really interested in a zillion things, but I cannot focus on a few. Since that would mean investing my time solely in a few things and having the constant feeling of missing out on other areas.

And I'm not talking about which TV channel to choose among 500. Rather I'm interested in art but also in philosophy, history, religion, photography, jogging, cooking, biology, etc etc. But I've got no real preference for one.

In the old days there was only limited knowledge and even more limited offer of knowledge, but nowadays with the Internet the pursuit to knowledge can be endless. Ans thus frustrating.

So, how can I focus on a few things without having the feeling of neglecting other interesting areas?
Two answers:
2005-12-12 23:09:51 UTC
maybe each month you can focus on one target area and try to create a goal for it. like, cooking - learn a new style, or jogging - work up to so many miles. you can still have other interests, but you are accomplishing something this way.
2005-12-14 23:18:51 UTC
I guess the question begs to be asked, that if this life has been abundant what are you searching for?

Out of the zillion things what would you say is more important? And if we keep the focus and not concentrate on some of these earthly things, there are only a few possible answers. History is important for many reasons, if not for anything than to see how others have acted/treated their abundance and indulgences.

A great man said "water rusts pipes yet we wash our face with it".

We get up each and every day for our coffee and yet if we could only stop and ask H_m to take away the need for it, if that's what floats your boat. Way back when, the Catholics would not eat meat on Fridays; and furthermore, ate fish to support the fishermen. Many of these customs have been washed away in our abundance. They have been dilluted for mans need for more.

I think that if you really give it your all, you will be able to focus on those things that are mostly important to you.

The best place I could send you to quench your thirst? Who knows, you seem to have some very nice interests so try this.